Thai Soup, we can’t live without you! It’s autumn and weather sucks. Really. It’s cold and nearly everbody is getting sick at the moment. So no more ice cream for us, we need something warm in our tummies to get over this shitty weather. One of our favorite soups is the good old vegetable Thai-Coconut-Soup. Today we add some „Chicken Free Stripes” from „Like Meat”. So let’s hope that the weather god likes this soup also and calls the sun to come back.
Red Thai Coconut Soup with vegan Chicken
- 3 tbsp peanut or coconut oil
- 1-2 tsp red curry paste
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 stalk lemon grass
- ginger (as big as a garlic clove)
- 1 l (4 cups) vegetable stock
- 600 ml (2.5 cups) of coconut milk
- 300 g (10.5 oz) rice noodles
- 175 g (6 oz) vegan chicken (tofu works also)
- 7 mushrooms
- 1/2 paprika
- 500 g (17 oz) broccoli
- 1/2 courgette
- 150 g (5.5 oz) peanuts
- 1-2 handful mungbean sprouts
- 1 lime
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 0.5 bunch of mint
- Chop your garlic clove and ginger. Batter the lemon grass (works good with the back of a knife) so the fibres open. A good idea to get more flavour in your soup!
- Heat 2-3 tbsp of peanut- or coconut oil in a big pot and sweat the curry paste, the ginger and the garlic clove for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and let boil for 2 minutes.
- Add also the coconut milk and let boil for 2 more minutes.
- Dice your vegetables.
- Let's add everything that needs to be cooked like your vegetable and your noodles.
- Cook everything for 4 minutes in your soup. Most of the rice noodles needs 4 minutes like a broccoli to be ready. But check the packaging to be sure. So after 4 minutes everything should be firm to the bite.
- In this time you can roast your vegan chicken gently in a pan.
- After that add your chicken into your soup and season with salt, red-curry paste, lime, cilantro and mint.
- Remove your stalk lemon gras and serve your soup with some sliced lime, peanuts, your mungbean sprouts, mint and cilantro.