.. ok, we understand: spinach soup doesn't sound very sexy. But to calm you down, we just want to let you know that we ate this soup like crazy. The trick is to sneak potatoes in the soup, so you get a smooth texture and the feelings of a good old potato soup. We are feeling kind of healthy while eating it and would really recommend doing it asap!
Spinach soup with mint and crunchy potato topping
- 500 g (17.6 oz) floury potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 5 tbsp plant-based oil
- 400 g (14.1 oz) spinach
- 280 g (9.8 oz) peas
- 15 g (0.5 oz) mint
- 1 l (4 cups) veggie broth
- 150 ml (0.6 cup) coconut milk
- salt, pepper, ground nutmeg
- black sesame
- Wash and clean potatoes (optional: peel). Chop one half coarsely and one half into fine cubes.
- Peel and chop onion and garlic clove.
- Wash spinach and remove stalks of big spinach leaves. Wash mint leaves, dry and pluck.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a big pot and brown coarsely chopped potaoes. Add onion and garlic and heat for another 2 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Add peas, mint leaves and veggie stock. Mix well and bring to the boil.
- Add spinach leaves and let simmer for 10 - 15 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- Now blend until smooth, add coconut milk, stir well and season again with salt, pepper and ground nutmeg. Maintain the minimum temperature required for keeping soup hot.
- Fry potato cubes in a pan with 2 tbsp oil until they turn soft and brown. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup with potato cubes, mint leaves, a dash of coconut milk and black sesame.