In our family we have this one convention we do on every members birthday: a biiiig Birthday Breakfast. Sounds huge, but it's a quite sweet and exciting thing for us. At the beginning of October my sister celebrated birthday. Beause I am responsible for the cake-business in our family, I searched for a simple recipe I could prepare the evening before the breakfast. So I remembered a very moist hazelnut cake we had in our childhood very, very often. And here it is: a very easy and moist hazelnut cake, but for sure: vegan!
Super moist, vegan hazelnut cake
- 250 g (8.8 oz) flour
- 1 pck baking powder
- 1 pck vanilla sugar
- 100 ml (0.4 cup) canola oil
- 150 g (5.3 oz) white sugar
- 250 ml (1 cup) plant based milk
- 150 g (5.3 oz) ground hazelnuts
- 50 g (1.7 oz) hazelnuts
- 150 g (5.3 oz) vegan, dark chocolte
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 50 - 100 g (1.7 - 3.5 oz) hazelnuts
- Chop 50 g (1.7 oz) hazelnuts. Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F.
- Grease a loaf pan with vegan butter and sprinkle flour all over the pan. Shake the loaf pan, so the whole surface is covered with flour.
- In a big bowl, mix all the ingredients for your cake with a spatula until soft and well combined. Add the mixture in your baking pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes at 180°C / 350°F. If your cake turns to dark, cover with aluminium foil. Let the cake completely cool down afterwards.
- Chop the rest of your hazelnuts and roast for 2-3 minutes in a pan without oil. They should turn a bit golden brown, you can smell that!
- Heat chocolate and coconut oil in a water bath and cover your cake completely. Sprinkle hazelnuts all over the melted chocolate. Let the cake chill for at least three hours in your fridge before serving.