Sweet and hearty at the same time? Oh yes! We are huge fans of sweet & hearty dishes. We could never eat only sweet things. And we could never eat only hearty things. By the way: Julia could never end her food feast without eating something hearty. So these Vegan Bacon Donuts are made for us cause they definitely put the sweet-hearty-thing in a nutshell. They are the perfect party food: easy to make, quite filling and a bit confusing. Who would expect the taste of bacon on a basic donut? But in the end, they will all love them, yes it’s true! We guess you already know our recipe for vegan coconut bacon, it’s too easy. What a smoked spectacle!
Vegan Coconut Bacon
- 225g (8 oz) coconut bacon
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Liquid Smoke
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- Mix soy sauce, liquid smoke, agave syrup and paprika in a small bowl.
- Add your coconut chips and combine well.
- On a baking tray bake coconut chips for 15 minutes at 160°C / 320°F.
- Toss the mixture on the sheet every 5 minutes.
Vegan Bacon Donuts
- 200 g (1.5 cup) flour
- 125 ml (0.5 cup) maple syrup
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 180 ml (0.75 cup) plant-based milk
- 1 tsp apple vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 50 g (2 tbsp) apple sauce
- 50 g (2 tbsp) coconut oil
- 250 g (2 cups) powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 0.5 serving of our vegan coconut bacon (recipe on our blog)
- Prepare 1/2 portion of our coconut bacon. The recipe is on our blog.
- For the donuts, mix the milk and apple vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a big bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
- Now gradually add the wet ingredients and mix again.
- Heat your donut maker and grease with coconut oil.
- Transfer your dough in a plastic or freezer bag and cut off a corner. Now you can easily pipe the batter into each donut cup. Let your donuts turn golden brown (will take 3-5 minutes).
- Mix powdered sugar and maple syrup for your icing. Add the maple syrup gradually, until you get a smooth mixture.
- To glaze, simply hold the donut and dip into the glaze. Immediately sprinkle with coconut bacon.
- Serve warm or at least the same day.