Tuck your green beans in a nice onion breadcrumb blanket! It is a great way to show how thankful you are on Thanksgiving by treating your green beans especially well! Instead of just boiling them first and quenching them in ice cold water afterwards, they will get the wellness package today. Let them simmer in a creamy mushroom sauce and put a cozy onion breadcrumb blanket on them! Thank you!
Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- 400 g (14.1 oz) green beans
- 3 midsized yellow onions
- 200 g (7.1 oz) mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves
- 250 g (8.8 oz) breadcrumbs
- 4 tbsp vegan butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp plant-based milk
- 250ml (1 cup) soy cream
- agave nectar
- icecold water
- Preparation is everything, so start by washing green beans and cut off both ends a bit. Peel onions and cut in rings. Clean mushrooms and cut them in quarters. Peel and finely dice garlic.
- Take out a large pot and fill in enough water to cook your green beans. That should take about 5 minutes since they don't have to get all done. Prepare a large bowl with icecold water and put in your cooked beans directly! This way they'll stay nice and green.
- Take out a pan and roast breadcrumbs in it without any oil. Be careful, 'cause this burns fast. Afterwards fill in another bowl and set aside.
- Using the same pan, heat vegan butter and roast garlic and onion for about 5 minutes, then add a shot of agave nectar. Let it roast for 5 more minutes, before you put them into your bowl with breadcrumbs. Stir well.
- Again using the same pan, heat up 2 tbsp vegan butter and roast your mushrooms in it. After 5-10 minutes, add 3 tbsp flour and stir well. Let this simmer for another minute before adding a nice shot of plantbased milk. Don't stop stirring so your sauce won't get clumpy. Now fill up with soy cream and keep stirring. Let this simmer for 3-4 minutes and season with nutmeg and paprika.
- Now add green beans to your pan with mushroom sauce and stir well. Place everything in a casserole.
- Let it roast in the oven at 360°F for 15 minutes. Afterwards, take out the casserole, add onion-breadcrumb-mix and let it roast some 10 minutes longer.
- Serve warm!