We crossed our fingers, that our opponent will be another but know we know: it’s Slowakia. I have to admit that we dreamed of italian pasta or portuguese sweets for our next EC-Special, or another country that has more to offer than fat meat, a lot of cheese, sauerkraut or goulash. Because all those things are bit tricky to do vegan. So we collected a lot of different dishes until I found a recipe for slovakian Halušky: egg-noodles with green cabbage. Sounds not thay sexy, so I texted Julia: „Look at that. Sounds like a meal for old people.” In this moment, Julia found her favorite dish for the slovakian EC Special and I was a bit scared about doing it. I was very uncertain about, but: it tastes really, really good. I can’t believe it by myself. And Julia was right again. Mean!
- 500 g (17.6 oz) vegan fettuccine
- 125 g (4.4 oz) vegan butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 pck smoked tofu
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 onions
- 1 garlic clove
- 500 g (17.6 oz) green cabbage
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to boil. Stir in noodles and cook like instructed.
- Melt butter in pan over med high heat.
- Dice your onions and saute onions till golden brown.
- Dice the green cabbage and the garlic clove and add to your pan.
- Add 2 tbsp of brown sugar and let caramelize.
- Cook until your cabbage is soft for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Dice your tofu and roast gently in a separate pan.
- Strain off the noodle-water and add your tofu and your noodles to the green cabbage.
- Season with salt and pepper.