In Germany, ‚Handbrot’ seems like the highlight on every fair, festival or Christmas market. You may have read our food report of Kosmonaut Festival 2016, where we already asked ourselves if there is a law ordering to have a foodtruck with ‚Handbrot’ whenever there are more than 30 persons gathering. AND we asked ourselves why there is no vegan version of it and promised to work on a recipe. So here we are, we did the job and we were really happy with the result. Unfortunately there is no such thing as vegan cheese pulling cheese strings so far – or at least in Germany. But nevertheless, your cheese will slighly melt and maybe we’ll have our own foodtruck on the next city festival!
Vegan "Handbrot" (Cheese Stuffed Bread)
FOR THE DOUGH
- 500 g (4 cups) flour
- 300 ml (1.25 cups) warm water
- 42 g (1.5 oz) fresh yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- olive oil
FOR THE STUFFING
- 250 g (9 oz) vegan cheese
- 1 tbsp plantbased oil
- 200 g (7 oz) smoked tofu
- soy sauce
FOR THE VEGAN SOUR CREAM
- 200 g (7 oz) soy curd
- 150 g (5.5 oz) vegan cream cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 lemon (juice)
- Stir yeast and sugar in warm water until both is disolved.
- Take out a large bowl and put flour and a pinch of salt in it. Fill up with yeast-sugar-water-mix and start kneading until you get a nice dough. Take dough out of the bowl and keep kneading for 5 more minutes.
- Oil the bowl a little, so your dough won’t stick to it. Then place the dough in the bowl, cover with a moist cloth and let the bowl rest in a warm place for at least 30 minutes. It turns out best if you place it in the oven at 80-100°F.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil to vegan cheese, this helps to melt the cheese later. If you like, you can use flavoured oil, e.g. spicy oil or garlic oil.
- Cut smoked tofu in small dices and roast them in a pan with some oil. After 2-3 minutes, add a shot of soy sauce and keep roasting for 5 more minutes. Afterwards set aside.
- Your dough should now have risen clearly. We made 8 pieces of bread out of it, so we cut the dough in half now and did each of the following steps with both parts of dough.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface into a long retangle.
- Place vegan cheese and roasted smoked tofu in the middle of the dough and don’t be sparingly with stuffing here. Fold both short ends into the middle, then also fold dough lengthwise, so the stuffing is now covered all around. Roll dough roll onto the other side.
- Take out a large wooden spoon and press it onto the dough, so you’ll see where your pieces will be cut later. You should get 4 pieces out of one roll. Then cut the top of thee dough with a knife diagonally and slightly pull dough apart.
- Place your dough on a baking sheet and put it in the oven at 400°F for at least 15 minutes. Afterwards, check if your bread is roasted on the top. If it isn’t, keep in the oven for several minutes until it’s goldenbrown at the top.
- Serve your stuffed bread warm out of the oven with vegan sour cream (just mix all ingredients in a bowl) and green onions cut in small rings.