“Maulwurfkuchen” is one of the cakes, you can enjoy all year round. Reason one: You don't need special seasonal ingredients. Reason two: the cake suits many occasions (birthday parties, picnic, coffee & cake). Reason three: Grandparents like this cake, just like children and everyone else. Yes, it's an all-rounder!
For a vegan version, you need vegan cream for whipping. The rest of the ingredients are basics you get in every supermarket.
Vegan „Maulwurfkuchen“ (German Mole Cake)
- 500 g (4 cups) flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 200 g (0.9 cups) white sugar
- 300 ml (1.3 cups) sparkling water
- 200 ml (0.8 cups) plant-based milk
- 150 ml (0.6 cups) canola oil
- 50 g (1.7 oz) cocoa powder
- a pinch of salt
- In a big bowl mix flour, baking powder, sugar and cocoa powder.
- Add plant-based milk, plant-based oil and sparkling water. Combine well.
- Grease the cake tin and sprinkle it with some flour.
- Pour the mass into cake tin, bake at 190°C/ 360°F for approx. 60 minutes. Allow to completely cool down.
- Beat vegan cream with vanilla sugar and stabilizer for whipping cream till stiff.
- Finely chop chocolate and fold in to the whipped cream.
- Remove 1/3 of the cake with a sharp knife.
- Crumble the removed part of the cake in a bowl. Set aside. You need the crumbs later for the soil topping.
- Peel and halve lengthwise bananas. Lay flat side down onto the cake.
- Top bananas with the whipped cream. Distribute evenly and form a mount on top like a molehill.
*This is an affiliate link.