It was in the beginning of this year, when we got a mail from Julia Stelzner. She asked us if we'd like to be featured in her new book about German foodblogs. Sure, we had! It's now 8 months later that we hold the book in our own hands, seeing our faces on print. Yay! The book is called „Wie wir kochen“ (How we cook) and is available online and in book shops. There are 25 foodblogs and we're holding hands with foodblogs like Krautkopf, What Should I Eat For Breakfast Today?, Our Food Stories, Eat This! and more. What a nice crowd!
Each blog published an old recipe and a new one and today, we can show you ours. If you'd like to take a look in the actual book, click here.
This portobello burger is one of our favorites. Unfortunately it's very difficult to get a portobello mushroom in a German supermarket, but we often find them in organic stores nearby, so make sure to check that out. Or probably you'll live in one of the lucky countries that have portobellos available everywhere. The mushrooms gets marinated and is afterwards cuddling with caramelized onions and homemade sauces in between burger buns.
- 4 sesame burger buns
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- 4 leaves iceberg lettuce
- 1 apple
- 1 shallot
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp dark balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cilantro
- 1 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- 1 avocado
- 1 tsp lemon juice
For sweet mustard sauce:
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- 3 tbsp mustard
For vegan sour cream:
- 200 g (7 oz) soy curd
- 150 g (3.5 oz) vegan cream cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 lemon (juice)
For caramelized onions:
- 2 large onions
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Start with the marinade. Peel and finely dice shallot. Transfer to a bowl and add all remaining marinade ingredients. Stir to combine. Transfer portobello mushrooms to bowl and rub into marinade until covered. Let sit for 20 min.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying or grilling pan and fry marinated portobello mushrooms from both sides for approx. 6-8 minutes.
- Peel and finely slice onions. In a second frying pan, heat 2 tbsp oil and add onion slices. Season with salt and fry until translucent, this will take approx. 5 minutes. Afterwards, add sugar and let fry on low heat for approx. 15 minutes until onions are caramelized and brown.
- In the meantime, prepare sauces and toppings for the burger. Wash and slice an apple. Add all ingredients for vegan sour cream to a bowl and stir to combine. In a second bowl, add agave syrup and mustard and stir to combine.
- In a third bowl, prepare guacamole. Halve and pit avocado, then remove the fruit with the help of a spoon. Mash with a fork, then add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once all burger ingredients are prepared, halve burger buns and toast them in the oven or in a frying pan without any oil.
- Time to set up your burger. On the lower burger bun, start by spreading some vegan sour cream on it. Then add iceberg lettuce, grilled and marinated portobello mushroom, guacamole, apple slices and caramelized onions. Finish by spreading sweet mustard sauce on the upper burger bun. Top the burger with it and tataaaa. You're new favorite burger is done!