When it’s summer and you’re hungry for something warm and hearty that is still a light dish, then go for these satay skewers! We love to prepare them with soy meat that needs to be soaked in vegetable stock. If you don’t find these, don’t like these, or whatever – easily switch the soy out for tofu, tempeh, seitan and vegetables. And if it’s not summer, prepare rice with it and you have Asian comfort food!
Vegan satay skewewers with peanut sauce & cucumber salad
- 100 g (3.5 cups) soy medaillons
- 1 l (4.25 cups) vegetable stock
- cilantro for serving
- sesame for serving
- oil for frying
FOR THE MARINADE
- 3 tbsp Kecap Manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground cilantro
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3 cm (1.2 inch) ginger
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lemongrass
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 cucumber
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp peanut oil
- 2 tbsp sesame
FOR THE DIP
- 5 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 5 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Soak soy medaillons in hot vegetable stock for at least 10 minutes. Afterwards squeeze out water and season with salt and pepper.
- For the marinade peel ginger and garlic. Remove the outer peel of lemongrass.
- Finely chop garlic, ginger and lemongrass and crush everything in a mortar. Add Kecap Manis, turmeric, cumin and salt, stir to combine.
- Marinate soy medaillons, cover with plastic wrap and let rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Afterwards add them to wooden skewers. Heat oil in a grill pan or large frying pan and fry medaillons on skewers from both sides until golden brown or until you can see grill marks.
- For the dip, add creamy peanut butter, coconut milk, soy sauce, agave nectar and lemon juice to a bowl and stir to combine. Season to taste.
- For the salad, peel and slice cucumber. Season with a pinch of salt and let rest for approx. 5 minutes. Afterwards, pour off water.
- Mix rice vinegar, soy sauce and peanut oil and toss over cucumber slices. Add sesame and stir to combine.
- Serve skewers with cucumber salad and peanut sauce. Bon Appetit!