Vegan Rice Noodle Salad with Baked Tofu & Lemongrass Dressing
Homemade favorite food. Maybe you also have this one dish that you’re always ordering when you see it on the menu card. For me this is rice noodle salad with lemongrass dressing. Why exactly this one? It’s a lukewarm salad, refreshing and filling, without being heavy. Unfortunately, I am already at a point where I have to force myself to choose another dish on the menu card just to give variety to the game. So maybe it helps, that I now developed a recipe for this exact salad. Feel free to use your favorite type of tofu for this, we love baked tofu from Asian supermarkets.
vegan rice noodle salad with baked tofu & lemongrass dressing
FOR RICE NOODLE SALAD
- 250 g (9 oz) thin rice noodles
- 75 g (2.5 oz) arugula
- 1 carrot
- 100 g (3.5 oz) iceberg lettuce
- 20 g (0.7 oz) cilantro
- 20 g (0.7 oz) mint
- 200 g (7 oz) baked tofu
- 1 tbsp sesame oil for rice noodles
- oil for frying
- 2 lemon grass
- 3 cm (1 inch) ginger
- 1/2 lime (juice)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp roasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- chili (if desired)
- roasted onions
- Cook rice noodles first. According to instructions on package this can vary. Add rice noodles to a large pot and pour over hot water. Let soak for approx. 3-4 minutes while stirring from time to time, so they don’t stick to each other. If you’re using thick rice noodles, you can soak them for approx. 8 minutes. Drain afterwards, rinse under cold water, so they won’t cook anymore and add sesame oil to avoid any sticking.
- Prepare salad. Wash and cut arugula and iceberg lettuce. Wash and chop mint and cilantro. Peel and julienne carrot. All all veggies to a bowl and mix. Dice or slice baked tofu as you like and roast in a pan with some oil for approx. 2-3 minutes.
- For dressing, peel ginger, prepare lemon gras and finely chop both. Transfer to a bowl. If you like to eat spicy, chop chili and add as well. Add lime juice, rice vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce and agave nectar to bowl and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve rice noodles, salad and tofu together and drizzle dressing on top. Serve with roasted onions and peanuts.