Vegan Yeast Buns filled with Hazelnut
It is Easter, so it's definitely time for baking! One of the Easter buffet classics is a plaited yeast bun, we probably all know from our childhood. So we made four small buns filled with hazelnut, instead of a plain big one. In the end, our „small“ buns turned out quite big, so if you don't need to feed a whole family, half of the dough will work fine for you.
Vegan yeast buns filled with hazelnut
- 4 tbsp plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- 500 g (4.25 cups) flour
- 250 ml (1 cup) plant-based milk
- 20 g (0.7 oz) fresh yeast
- 60 g (2.1 oz) sugar
- 75 g (0.3 cups) vegan butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- 200 g (7 oz) chopped hazelnuts
- 50 g (1.7 oz) ground hazelnuts
- 100 ml (0.4 cups) plant-based milk
- 100 g (0.5 cups) brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 lemon (grated zest)
- 100 g (3.5 oz) powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp plant-based milk
- pinch of cinnamon
- Heat milk in a pot until lukewarm.
- In a big bowl mix flour, milk, sugar and fresh yeast. Let rise for 30 minutes.
- Heat vegan butter in a small pot. Now add the remaining ingredients to the bowl, knead well and let rise for one hour in a warm place.
- Heat plant-based milk and mix with sugar and cinnamon.
- Take the pot from the cooker and stir in the ground and chopped hazelnuts and the lemon zest.
braided yeast buns
- Divide yeast dough into four and roll out each dough on a floured countertop to a oval.
- Spread the filling over the surface of the dough.
- Let's begin at one of the long edges of the rectangle and tightly roll up the dough.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the roll lengthwise.
- Slightly rotate the halves outwards so the layers are facing upwards.
- Cross the two halves over each other until you get a braided yeast bun. Pinch together the end of the rope. Now continue with each bun. In the end, you get four braided yeast buns.
- Let the buns rise for about 30 minutes and brush with milk before baking.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F and bake for approx. 20 minutes.