It’s time for another episode of „Tasty Enemy“, our recipe series where we try to find the perfect recipes for ingredients we don’t like. We do have the feeling, that it’s often not about the taste itself but rather the way of preparing these ingredient.
Julia hates pineapple. At least she thinks she does. We already tried out various new ways to cook with pineapples, but our hot dogs with grilled pineapple was no luck. So today we’re going the sweet way!
Serving it as a dessert, we wrapped pineapple into wonton wrappers that are available in any Asian supermarkets. On top, we serve it with a pineapple-mango dip on the side.
How did it taste? Tataa, we have a winner! Sugared, wrapped and fried pineapple actually tastes good, also with the pineapple-mango mixture to dip in. Maybe the super crispy dough was distracting from the fruit itself? Well, but we can definitely say that Julia conquered her tasty enemy, wheee!
Sweet wontons with pineapple & mango dip
- 20 wonton wrappers
- 1 mango (ripe)
- 1 small pineapple (ripe)
- 1 banana
- sugar of choice (e.g. cane sugar, coconut sugar or maple syrup, …)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil for frying
- To prepare the dip, halve, peel and cut a pineapple. Peel and cut mango. Using a blender, mix until the desired texture is reachedi. Season with sugar of choice (we used coconut sugar) and ½ tsp cinnamon. Refrigerate until needed.
- Peel and slice banana. Peel and cut the second half oft he pineapple. They should be approx. the same sice as the banana slices.
- Again, add sugar of choice (we used coconut sugar as well) and ½ tsp cinnamon to a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Get a wonton wrapper ready, then coat a slice of fruit in the sugar-cinnamon mixture and place it in the center of the top third. Damp the top, left and right side of the wonton wrapper. Fold the bottom right corner over the sliced fruit, so it will not close on top of each other but overlaps a bit. Press together carefully. Now fold the bottom corners to getter, you can damp them before if needed.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat and fry stuffed wontons until crispy from all sides, this will take approx. 20 sec. per side. Remove from pan and degrease on a kitchen paper-lined plate. Repeat until all wontons are fried.
- Dust fried wontons with confectioner’s sugar and serve with cooled pineapple-mango dip.