A baguette is the classic bread for a BBQ. Maybe because it's such a convenienct emergency solution for everyone who forgot to prepare something homemade for the evening. Buy a baguette and everybody will be happy, right?
But imagine we'd turn the BBQ tables and don't bring baguette but some homemade prepared flatbreads that are grilled for a few minutes to get fluffy inside, but crispy outside. And then we even top it with a fruity homemade tomato-bell pepper spread. What's especially great about this recipe is that you can prepare everything at home and just take it to the BBQ to finish it. Transfered in a jar, this tomato spread is also a great BBQ dip.
We're happy that Edeka supported us and this recipe. They have a pretty large selection of vegan products for the BBQ season - from soy yogurt and vegan mayonnaise for dips to vegan meatloaf to grill, uuh!
Grilled bread with tomato spread
- 500 g (4 cups) flour
- 42 g (1.5 oz) yeast
- 250 ml (1 cup) lukewarm water
- 40 ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp agave syrup
For the spread
- 390 g (14 oz) chopped tomatoes (canned)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- 1 tsp soy cream
- chili powder
- Add yeast to lukewarm water and stir until the yeast is dissolved. Mix together flour and salt in a large bowl. Add yeast mixture and start kneading – you can do this with your hands, a hand mixer or a kitchen machine.
- Once the ingredients start to come together, add olive oil and agave syrup and keep kneading until a smooth yeast dough forms. It’s always best to do this with your hands in the end. Transfer into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and let rise at a warm place for approx. 30 minutes.
- In the meantime prep the spread. Peel and finely chop garlic and onion. Finely dice red bell pepper. Heat some vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry onions and garlic for approx. 2-3 minutes, then add bell pepper and fry for another appeox. 5 minutes over medium heat. Add canned chopped tomatoes and let simmer for approx. 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, agave syrup and chili powder to taste. Let the spread cool down and rest in the fridge until serving. 4. Flour your working surface and knead dough on it, then divide into 8 equal-sized parts. Form a flatbread out of each dough ball and transfer it onto a lighly greased baking sheet. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rest for 30 more minutes.
- Brush breads with olive oil and grill on both sides for approx. 5 minutes and until you can see some grill marks.
- Add tomato spread to grilled bread and top with some arugula.