Vegan Linzer Cookies
While searching for Christmas cookie recipes, we came across “spitzbuben,“ “hildabrötchen“ and “Linzer cookies.“ And they all look the same! So what’s the reason these jelly cookies own three different names? We are super confused!
Doing small research with the help of our friends we now have the following presumption: in the Western part of Germany the cookies are called “hildabrötchen,“ and in the Eastern part of Germany they are called “spitzbuben.“ And only the Southern part (and Austria) knows these cookies by the name “Linzer cookies.“ We don’t know if this presumption is right, but it sounds quite logic. But wait .. what about Johannisthaler cookies? HELP!
But even if naming these cookies is quite hard, the preparation of is super simple. There are only two things we have to add. First, make sure you cut out the same amount of cookies and cookie rings! And second, use the jam you like the most! Isa loves raspberries, so she used raspberry jelly.
Vegan Linzer Cookies
- 250 g (2.1 cups) flour
- 50 g (1.7 oz) ground almonds
- 200 g (0.8 cups) plant-based butter
- 100 g (0.5 cups) sugar
- a pinch of salt
- if needed: cold water
- 150 g (5.3 oz) raspberry jam (seedless)
- 50 g (0.5 cups) icing sugar
- Add flour, ground almonds, sugar, and salt to a bowl and stir to combine.
- Add diced cold plant-based butter on top. Start kneading with cold hands.
- If needed, add cold water and knead until a smooth dough forms.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and let rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut out rounds. Use a smaller cutter to make a hole in the center of some rounds. In the end, you should get approx. Twenty-five rounds (the bottom of the cookies) and 25 rings (the top of the cookies). Place all of them on a baking tray covered with baking parchment.
- Pre-heat the oven up to 180°C/356°F and bake cookies for 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool down for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime heat the raspberry jam in a small pot.
- Spoon 1/2 teaspoon of the raspberry jam into the center of the round. Top with a cookies ring and sprinkle the cookies with icing sugar.