Fresh Spring Tacos with homemade, vegan “Feta“ Cheese
We have a soft spot for tacos and love to experiment with them. Besides classics such as fish tacos (vegan, of course!), tostadas or taquitos, we also serve Korean tacos, ramen tacos, chanterelles tacos or even chocolate tacos. You can find all our taco recipes here.
Honeydew melon, cucumber and vegan „feta“ cheese are kicking fresh on this Taco Tuesday! The perfect taco for warm spring days even if you think the combination of the ingredients sounds a bit weird. Its SO delicious!
We've made the vegan feta with tofu a day before so the tofu cubes can absorb all the delicious flavours overnight. The nexr day you can easily top your taco in a few minutes and make your own vegan cashew ricotta. Read more about our vegan feta cheese here.
Vegan "Feta Cheese" in a Herb Brine
- 200 g (7 oz) tofu
- 100–150 ml (0.5–0.66 cups) olive oil
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp light miso paste (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves
Cut the tofu into bite-sized cubes.
Into a screw-top jar, add 5 tbsp olive oil and mix with dried basil, oregano, thyme and salt. Optionally, stir in miso paste.
Peel garlic cloves, crush them lightly with the back of a knife and slice. Add the garlic slices and the tofu cubes to the jar as well, top them with olive oil and shake well so that the tofu is evenly coated with the herbs.
Put the jar in the refrigerator and serve after 24 hours at the earliest. The tofu keeps for up to five days. In between, keep turning or shaking the jar so that everything marinates evenly.
Fresh Spring Tacos with homemade, vegan "Feta" Cheese
- 6 soft tacos
- 1/4 honeydew melon
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 portion of homemade, vegan “feta“ cheese (recipe on the blog)
Vegan Ricotta Dip
- 150 g (8.8 oz) cashews (soaked in at least for 30min, best overnight)
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- 50 ml (0.2 cups) water
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp plant-based yogurt
- 3 g chives
- 3 g parsley
- 3 g mint
- salt & pepper
Vegan Ricotta Dip
- In a food processor mix cashews, lemon juice, a garlic clove, nutritional yeast and start with 25 ml water.
- If it turns out to dry, add more water. Cashew ricotta should neither be liquid or stone-hard, but of a creamy consistency with some cashew pieces.
- Wash and chop the fresh herbs and add them with the plant-based yogurt to the cashew ricotta. Season with salt and pepper and add more nutritional yeast, if it's not cheesy enough for your taste.
- Peel the honeydew melon and cut it in stripes with the help of a vegetable peeler.
- Repeat the same procedure with the cucumber (if you use an organic cucumber, you don’t have to peel it).
- Take a taco and spread some ricotta dip on it. Add honeydew melon, cucumber, and vegan feta cheese and finish it up with some more dip and finely chopped chives.