Several years ago we ate kimchi for the first time. Years passed by since we tried it for the first time at home. We guess not so many of you already made kimchi by yourself, right? But when we tried the Korean chili paste “Gochujang“ in May for our Korean Tacos with kimchi and Gochujang tofu we also spend some time for a little kimchi research.
So we decided to show you a quick recipe for vegan kimchi. There are thousands of kimchi recipes on the Internet. We are working on a more “traditional“ recipe for the future, but for now, this recipe is a bomb! In only 30 minutes the kimchi is done, and you get all the ingredients in the supermarket. If there is no time left to make your own vegan fish sauce, check your supermarket thoroughly, cause you can buy it too.
Vegan Fish Sauce
- Cut the nori sheets into strips. Add water and nori strips to a small pot and bring to a boil.
- After 15 min. add 1 tsp sugar, a pinch of pepper, soy sauce and 2 tsp miso paste. Let simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Filter fish sauce through a sieve. You should get 300 ml fish sauce in the end.
- Return fish sauce into the pot and let simmer again for 20-30 min.
- Allow to cool down completely.
Super easy vegan kimchi (ready in 30 minutes)
- Wash and finely dice napa cabbage.
- Transfer to a big bowl and cover with hot water. Add 2 tbsp salt and stir. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Wash chili pepper, de-seed, and finely dice. Wash green onions, and cut into rings.
- Drain cabbage and mix with sesame oil, vegan fish sauce, chili sauce, chili pepper and green onions in a bowl. Stir well and season again (if needed).
*This is an affiliate link.