Vegan onion dip
Having a BBQ without dips is like eating ice cream without sprinkles - only half as good. We think dips and sauces are very often underrated when it comes to BBQs or picnics. They usually get represented by ready-made sauces, cause everyone is more into steaks, sausages and pasta salads. That's wrong! Today we show you one of our favorite dips we could spoon all day long.
Vegan onion dip
- 4 large, yellow onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp plant-based oil
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- 400 g (14.1 oz) silken tofu
- 100 ml (0.4 cup) plant-based cream for cooking
- 50 g cashews (1.7 oz), soaked in warm water for at least 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 slices of jalapenos
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp cayenne
- salt & pepper
- Peel onions and garlic. Cut onions in thin rings and slightly press garlic with the back of a knife but keep it like this as a “whole“ clove. Heat 1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp vegan butter in a large pan and sauté onions and garlic until they are glazed.
- As soon as they turn glazed, add a shot of agave nectar and let it caramelize for some minutes. They should NOT get dark but stay light.
- Take a mixer and throw in soft tofu, cashews, vegan sour cream or soy cream, nutritional yeast, jalapenos and cider vinegar. Mix it until it’s a smooth unity.
- Now add about 3/4 of your onion-garlic-mix (put the rest beside for later). Start mixing again until everything is a delicious mash.
- Season with salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne and top with the remaining fried onions.