Walnut cake with walnut frosting
If you are allergic to walnuts, we are very sorry for this recipe. Cause it's full of walnuts: ground walnuts, chopped walnuts, and walnut butter. We put walnuts in every variation into the dough and the frosting.
Why? We are big fans of walnuts and nut butter in general (no matter if it's made of cashews, almonds or .. walnuts!). Nut butter can be used as a replacement for butter, in frosting or as a topping. Bringing different aromas into the nut butter is even more fun. For an autumnal flavor use vanilla and cardamom, for a winterly version use cinnamon and ginger.
This walnut cake is perfect for all banana bread lovers. By using agave nectar the cake turn slightly sweat, but not too much. So in addition to the frosting, it's a super balanced herb, but sweet cake. Bonus tip: Spread the frosting on a slice of walnut cake, after you toasted it - absolutely delicious!
*We are very happy that Keimling supports this recipe. Check their online shop for organic and vegan products, like dried fruits, nut butter, oils and cookies.
Walnut Cake With Walnut Frosting
- 300 g (2.5 cups) flour
- 200 g (0.9 cups) brown sugar
- 100 g (3.5 oz) ground walnuts
- 50 g (1.7 oz) chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp walnut butter (e.g. Keimling)
- 1 tbsp apple vinegar
- 300 ml (1.2 cups) oat milk
- 2 tbsp agave nectar (z.B. von Keimling)
- 125 g (4.4 oz) walnut butter
- 75 g (2.6 oz) coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- 100 g (3.5 oz) powder sugar
- 1 tsp-tbsp oat milk
- Combine flour, brown sugar, ground walnuts and baking powder in a bowl.
- Add apple vinegar, walnut butter, and oat milk and mix to a smooth dough using a mixer. Fold in chopped walnuts.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C / 347°F. Grease a loaf pan with vegan butter and sprinkle flour all over the pan. Shake the loaf pan, so the whole surface is covered with flour.
- Add dough and bake for 45 minutes. Try to stick in a wooden skewer and pull it out again. If there's no dough sticking on it, your cake should be ready. Let your cake cool down until you take it out of the cake pan.
- In the meantime, mix walnut butter, coconut oil, agave nectar and vanilla extract in a bowl until creamy, using a hand mixer. Add a pinch of salt and sieve powdered sugar. If the mixture comes out too dry, add more oat milk, 1 tsp - 1 tbsp should be enough.
- Place the walnut cake on a cake rack a spread the walnut creme all over the cake.