Creamy Polenta with Brussels sprouts & beetroots
Trying to buy only seasonal and regional fruits and vegetables is especially hard in the winter season. Apples from the warehouse are one of the few fruits that are still available. Veggies are often limited to cabbage and root vegetables. However, stored fruit and vegetables from greenhouses are helping us until winter is over.
Brussels sprouts and beetroot are one of the stored vegetables that are still available in winter. Today we serve them both on creamy polenta with fresh herbed oil on top, but you can also prepare this dish with other winter vegetables, such as turnips, radish, potatoes, celery or pumpkin, and kale. Polenta tastes so good in combination with warm oven vegetables - and the best time for it is definitely winter!
Creamy Polenta with Brussels sprouts & beetroot
- 20 g pine nuts for serving
- 130 g polenta
- 250 ml plant-based cream
- 400 ml vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp yeast flakes
oven baked vegetables
- 100 g brussels sprouts
- 1 beetroot
- 1 onion
- 50 ml olive oil
- 7 g rosemary
- 10 g parsley
- 5 g basil
- 5 g chives
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- 0.5 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, circulating air. Remove the outer leaves of the Brussels sprouts and shorten the stalk a little. Then wash and halve the brussels sprouts.
- Peel and chop the beetroot (about the same size as the brussels sprouts). Peel and quarter the onion.
- Place the brussels sprouts, onion and beetroot on a baking tray with baking paper, sprinkle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Wash the rosemary and put it on the baking tray. Bake for 20-30 minutes on the medium rack.
- In the meantime, prepare the polenta. Bring the plant-based cream and the vegetable stock to a boil and add the corn semolina (polenta) while stirring. Let simmer for 5 minutes on a low heat and season with yeast flakes, salt, and pepper. Remove from the heat and spread on the plates.
For the herbed oil, wash all the herbs and remove the stems if necessary. Puree the oil with the herbs in a tall container and season with agave syrup, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven, place them on the polenta, and serve with the herbed oil.