Vegan chicken salad with Jackfruit
A lot of Germans never heard of the typical American chicken salad made with mayonnaise, grapes, and nuts. However, in America you put chicken salad on almost every dish: bagels, burgers, wraps or just plain with white bread.
Today we put a spotlight on the American classic and prepared a recipe without any animal products. As a substitute for chicken you can choose jackfruit (doesn't taste too much like chicken) or vegan chicken strips (tastes very much like chicken). We love to use a chicken substitute for this recipe but used jackfruit, cause a lot of people don't know how to prepare. Replace dairy mayonnaise with a plant-based one, and you're almost done. The rest of the recipe is too easy: just add nuts, grapes, cucumbers, and celery.
Vegan chicken salad
350 g (3.5 oz) vegan chicken meat or 2 cans of jackfruit or vegan chicken strips
2 tbsp mild mustard
1 tsp nutmeg
3 tbsp plant-based oil
1/2 stalk of celery
1/2 red onion
10 g fresh dill
150 g vegan mayonnaise
2 tsp mustard
2 tsp garlic powder
50 g nuts (pecan nuts, walnuts)
1 green onion
- bell pepper
- Using vegan chicken strips: Heat oil in a pan and roast chicken strips fpr 3-4 minutes. Season if needed.
- Using jackfruit: Open jackfruit cans and pour off the liquid.
- In a bowl rub jackfruit bits with mustard, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Heat plant-based oil in a big pan and roast jackfruit bits. Remove from the cooker.
- Wash celery and cucumber and cut in slices and small bits. Slice pickles too.
- Wash and finely dice dill. Peel red onion, halve and slice into rings.
- Mix jackfruit or chicken, veggies, onions and dill in a bowl.
- Add mayo, mustard, salt, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Wash and finely dice green onion. Serve chicken salad with nuts and green onions.