Vegan Omelet Made of Tofu
Make a wish: In our series “Make a wish“ we develop recipes to make your wishes come true - whether it’s about vegan french toasts or doughnuts. If you also have a recipe that we should cook for you, send us a quick mail to email@example.com. Until then, find all your previous wished recipes here.
An omelet is a classic breakfast favorite. Eggs, milk, veggies, onion, and spices - that's it! But preparing an omelet without eggs offers various possibilities. Let's be clear: Kala Namak is a must have for a vegan omelet, no matter which “base“ you are using. It's Indian rock salt and tastes similar to hard-boiled eggs. Nevertheless, we still have to talk about replacing the egg mixture.
A lot of recipes are using chickpea flour mixed with yogurt or milk to get a thick and mushy mass. Others use aqua faba (made of chickpea liquid). And some are even using a finished mixture from the supermarket. None of these ideas was blowing our mind. So we had to search for another one. Especially, most of the results were more like a crepe (dry and thin) than an omelet (wobbly and thick).
So we used tofu for this recipe, a naturally wobbly mass, yay! And the result was wonderful! We got a thick mixture and a tangy taste we would love to have every morning.
Vegan omelet made of tofu
- 350 g (12.3 oz) firm tofu
- 180 ml (0.7 cups) plant-based milk
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 tsp kala namak
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- salt & pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 onion
- 200 g (7 oz) mushrooms
- 100 g (3.5 oz) mixed green salad
- Puree all ingredients for the omelet (instead of the onion) in a high container.
- Peel and finely chop onion. Fold in the chopped onion to the omelet mixture.
- Prepare the toppings: clean mushrooms, remove stalks and slice.
- Heat a small pan with plant-based oil. Add omelet mixture and fry the omelets on both sides. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate pan heat oil and fry onion and mushrooms.
- Wash salad and top omelets with onion rings, sliced mushrooms, and fresh salad.