Vegan Satay Skewers with Peanut Sauce
When it’s summer, and you’re hungry for something warm and hearty that is still a light dish, then go for these satay skewers! We love to prepare them with soy chunks* that needs to be soaked in vegetable stock. If you don’t find these, don’t like these, or whatever – easily switch the soy out for tofu, tempeh, seitan, vegan chicken strips* or vegetables. And if it’s not summer, prepare rice with it, and you have Asian comfort food!
Vegan satay skewewers with peanut sauce & cucumber salad
- 100 g (3.5 cups) soy medaillons or vegan chicken strips
- 1 l (4.25 cups) vegetable stock
- cilantro for serving
- sesame for serving
- oil for frying
FOR THE MARINADE
- 3 tbsp Kecap Manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground cilantro
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3 cm (1.2 inches) fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lemongrass
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 cucumber
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp peanut oil
- 2 tbsp sesame
FOR THE DIP
- 5 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 5 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Soak soy medallions in hot vegetable stock for at least 10 minutes. Afterward squeeze out water and season with salt and pepper.
- For the marinade peel ginger and garlic. Remove the outer peel of lemongrass.
- Finely chop garlic, ginger, and lemongrass and crush everything in a mortar. Add Kecap Manis, turmeric, cumin and salt, stir to combine.
- Marinate soy medallions, cover with plastic wrap and let rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Afterward, add them to wooden skewers. Heat oil in a grill pan or large frying pan and fry medallions on skewers from both sides until golden brown or until you can see grill marks.
- For the dip, add creamy peanut butter, coconut milk, soy sauce, agave nectar and lemon juice to a bowl and stir to combine. Season to taste.
- For the salad, peel and slice cucumber. Season with a pinch of salt and let rest for approx. 5 minutes. Afterward, pour off the water.
- Mix rice vinegar, soy sauce, and peanut oil and toss over cucumber slices. Add sesame and stir to combine.
- Serve skewers with cucumber salad and peanut sauce. Bon Appetit!