Vegan 5-Ingredient Mujadarra
For almost four years now, my sister and I are visiting 2 girls from Syria who came to Germany several years ago. We visit the sisters and their families every weekend. We do homework, go swimming, ice skating, to the cinema or just to the playground. During all these years, I've realized that this was one of the best decisions I've made, but also that I am a huge fan of Syrian cuisine.
When I casually dropped at one of the first visits that I didn't eat any meat or dairy products, they served me vegan food whenever I was visiting. And one day, they introduced me Mujaddara, a Syrian rice and lentil dish, which is topped with a large amount of sweet fried onions. Quick notice: you'll love it. To my astonishment, you only need five ingredients (besides oil, salt, and water) for the dish. So I ask their parents for all the ingredients and the exact preparation steps, and they allowed me to type them down for you - an original Syrian recipe! 1,000 hearts to the family and the many great recipes that I have been able to get to know through them.
Vegan 5-Ingredient Mujadara
- 250 g long grain rice
- 200 g green lentils (e.g. Pardina lentils)
- 500 ml water
- 10-15 large onions
- 100 ml sunflower or rapeseed oil
- 400 g plant-based yogurt
- 20 g fresh parsley
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the onions and cut them into rings.
- Put the lentils in a big non-stick coated pot (to which you also have a lid). Add the water and salt and bring to a boil. Once the water boils, reduce the heat (level 4 out of 10) and let the lentils simmer for 15 minutes. In the meantime, do not remove the lid from the pot, and don't stir!
- Fry the onion rings in a pan (cover the bottom of the pan with oil) on low heat (about level 4-5 of 10) very slowly. This takes up to 45 minutes. They should be nice and dark brown in the end.
- After 15 minutes, add the rice to the lentils, stir once and put the lid back on the pan. Now again: do not remove the lid or stir. Let simmer for another 30 minutes at low temperature (level 4 out of 10).
- In the meantime, stir the onions from time to time and make sure that they brown evenly but slowly.
- Wash and chop the fresh parsley.
- Remove the lentils and rice from the heat, stir briefly, add salt and serve with the onions, parsley, and plant-based yogurt.