Super easy: Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
There are tons of recipes for cinnamon rolls on Pinterest and Tumblr. And yes, it's extremely hard to choose between ten thousand of recipes. We believe in classics that always work out perfectly. And btw: are vegan.
We love the smell and fluffiness of these cinnamon rolls! So the day we worked on this recipe, we accidentally had melted chocolate left from another recipe. So we poured hot chocolate over the cinnamon rolls and had the best afternoon break ever!
Vegan Yeast Dough
- 15 g (0.5 oz) fresh yeast
- 375 ml (1.5 cups) lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 550 - 600 g (19 - 21 oz) flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 40 g (1.5 oz) coconut oil
- Dissolve the fresh yeast in warm water with brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. Wait for ten minutes. The yeast should swell and rise to the water surface.
- Heat coconut oil, wait until lukewarm and add it to the bowl.
- Gradually add 400 g (14 oz) flour, mix well and add salt. The dough should be very sticky.
- Cover bowl with a damp kitchen towel and let rise for at least one hour. After this time you should see small bubbles on the surface, and your dough should be doubled in size.
- Now add the rest of the flour until you can form a big ball out of dough. Knead the dough for some more minutes and let rise for another hour on a warm and dry place. The dough should rise for the second time. Now use the vegan yeast dough as desired.
Super Easy Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
For the dough:
- 1 vegan yeast dough (see recipe above)
- vegan butter for greasing
- flour for dusting
For the filling:
- 140 g (1.25 sticks) vegan butter
- 100 g (0.5 cup) brown sugar
- 3-4 tbsp cinnamon
For the icing:
- 150 g (1.25 cups) confectioner's sugar
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 lemon (juice)
- vanilla extract
- Prepare the yeast dough according to the recipe on our blog.
- Remove vegan butter from the fridge and let it soften at room temperature. Mix sugar and cinnamon, add the mix to the softened vegan butter, and stir to combine.
Rolling & Baking
Grease the baking pan in which the cinnamon rolls will be baked with vegan butter. Once the yeast dough has risen, flour your work surface and roll out the dough into a large rectangle (about 40x30 cm / 16x12 inches).
Spread the soft vegan sugar-cinnamon butter evenly on the rolled out dough. Then roll it up tightly from the long side to form a long roll.
Divide the roll into 10-12 pieces of the same size. You can do this either with a knife or with kitchen twine, which you push under the dough and then pull the ends of the twine over the dough in the opposite direction. Transfer the buns to the greased baking pan and let them rise for another 30 minutes. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 180°C (top-bottom heat).
Bake the cinnamon buns at 180°C for approx. 30-40 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the icing. Whisk to combine confectioner's sugar, cold water, lemon juice, and some vanilla extract. You can either pour or drizzle the icing over the cinnamon buns while they are still warm or when they have cooled down.