Vegan Cinnamon Cookies (german „Zimtsterne“)
A few days before Christmas, my grandma is baking tons of cookies: cinnamon cookies, black and white cookies, and coconut macaroons. In the end, we get three big bowls filled with these three types of cookies. My personal favorites are always cinnamon cookies. So here is my grandma's recipe, just 100 % plant-based!
Vegan Cinnamon Cookies (German Zimtsterne)
- 100 g (3.5 oz) powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp(10 g) cinnamon powder
- 150 g (5.3 oz) ground almonds
- 200 g (7 oz) ground hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 50 ml cold water
- optional: flour to roll out the dough
- 150 g (5.3 oz) powdered sugar
- 15 tsp plantbased milk
- 2 tbsp cinnamon powder
- Mix all dry ingredients for the cinnamon dough in a big bowl.
- Roll the dough to 0.5 cm on a floured surface or between two baking sheets.
- Cut out the cookies with a star shaped cookie cutter. You should get approw. 30 cookies. Place your cookies on a baking tray lined with a baking sheet.
- Bake cookies in preheated oven at 200°C/390°F for about 5 minutes. (Not too long, they should not turn out dark brown or crunchy)
- In a small cup mix powdered sugar and plant-based milk until you get a creamy frosting. The frosting should not turn out too thin.
- Now add a thick layer of frosting onto your cookies and sprinkle some cinnamon powder all over them.