It’s the perfect hangover dish! Hej there 2017, we are so looking forward to you! Maybe you woke up with a little hangover today. And if you’re lucky and you didn’t, then maybe the next hangover will come by later this year and then you will be really happy to know this recipe! Poutine is a popular fast food dish in Canada and it’s simply perfect if you feel hangover. Get ready for homemade fries, vegan cheese and gravy! Uh yes!
- 500 g (18 oz) primarily waxy potatoes
- olive oil
- 500 ml (2 cups) water
- 1 tbsp salt
FOR SEASONING FRIES
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp curry
- 0.5 tsp cumin
- 0.5 tsp garlic powder
- 0.5 tsp onion powder
- vegan cheese
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp flour
- 200 ml (0.8 cup) vegetable stock
- 50 ml (0.25 cup) vegan red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- Peel potatoes and cut into French fries. The thinner you cut them, the more crispier they’ll get!
- Mix together water and salt and pour the mix over fries. Then rub them in oil.
- Place all ingredients for seasoning in a mortar and pestle them until combined. Add fries and mix everything well.
- Now you have two options: You can either place fries in your oven or double-fry them.
- For option 1 in the oven: Place fries next to each other (not on top of each other) on a baking sheet and let them roast in the oven for about 20 minutes until they are golden and crispy.
- For option 2 and double frying: Heat up oil in a pot to 160°C/320°F. Start by frying your fries in batches, not adding to many of them at once into oil. Afterwards let them drip off on a paper towel. If you have fried all of them one time, it’s time for a second round! Now you should heat up oil to 180°C/360°F and fry all of them again in batches. This way they’ll turn out super crispy! Afterwards let them drip off on a paper towel again.
- Prepare a quick gravy. Therefor finely dice an onion. Heat up oil in a small sauce pot, add diced onion and roast them until glaced. Add flour, stir and keep roasting for 2 more minutes until it darkens. Deglaze with veggie broth little by little and keep stirring the whole time. Afterwards add red wine and bay leaf and keep it simmering for about 10-15 minutes until you get the texture you like. Season with salt and pepper and don’t forget to remove bay leaf before serving.
- Time to serve! Start with homemade fries, then add vegan cheese and pour gravy over everything!