Vegan Egg Saladd
Even when I was young, I was always in charge of egg salad on family celebrations. Which is strange, because I didn’t like mustard or mayo in any other combination. Today I do eat mustard and mayo, but no eggs anymore. Pheew, tricky situation. But nowadays there are plenty options for vegan egg salad. Some do the magic with chickpeas, others with cooked pasta, but I like this easypeasy version with tofu. Whatever you take as the base: Never ever forget Kala Namak. This Indian salt is doing the REAL magic in every egg dish because it smells and tastes suspiciously egg-like. You can get it in wholefood shops and don’t want to live without it anymore, once you’ve tried it.
Vegan Egg Salad
- 400 g (14 oz) natural tofu
- 3 tbsp mustard
- 5 tbsp vegan mayo
- 0.5 bunch of chives
- kala namak salt
- lemon juice
- Take half a package of tofu (150g) and cut it into small dices. In a small bowl, stir with 1 tbsp turmeric so it gets a nice yellowish color.
- You can crumble the other tofu (250g) with your hands.
- In a large bowl mix both tofus. Let’s start with 3 tbsp mustard and 5 tbsp vegan mayo. That may sound a lot, but you’ll get a lot egg salad out of it in the end and you don’t want it to be dry. Finely cut the chive and put it in the bowl. Stir everything careful.
- Now let’s season it with a good pinch of kala namak, lemon juice, and some more sea salt and pepper. Of course you can add more mustard or more kala namak, if you want it to be even more egg-like.
Tip: Good egg salad is like good wine, it takes some time... maybe not years, but at least put your egg salad in the fridge overnight. It tastes even better on the third day... crazy!